Friday, November 21, 2014

Scouting the 2015 Draft: Justin Hooper

Justin Hooper is a big(6'7", 230 lb) HS LHP from Northern California with about as high a ceiling as you can get in a draft prospect.  Despite his size, he is athletic looking and muscular as opposed to doughy looking.  His FB on the summer showcase circuit hit 97 MPH and he has a good hard curve to go with it.  He is just starting to work on a changeup, but it has already shown some promise.

He has a low 3/4 delivery somewhat reminiscent of Madison Bumgarner's but with less sweep.  He also  rocks back in more of a drop and drive style.  His release point is closer to his body than Bummy's.  There is some effort in his delivery, but not an excessive amount.  The drop and drive thing reminds me a bit of Clayton Kershaw except with the low release point.

BA has him ranked as the #7 draft prospect for 2015.  Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs has him at #9.  Barring injury, I think he will easily go top 5.  For me, he easily has the highest ceiling of any of the 2015 draft prospects I have seen.  Personally, I have him as my current 1-1.

2 comments:

  1. I like Hooper a lot and that velocity for a lefty is something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great size, great velocity, smart kid. He's the complete package if you ask me.

      Delete